Friday, September 12, 2014

Fried Tofu


Today I had a very minimalistic lunch. Fried tofu served on a small (very small) bed of lettuce, with a side of boiled eggs. I’m still not big on lettuce, even when it’s covered with some very simple yet oh-so-yummy fried tofu. It’s not that lettuce has ever done anything wrong. There are no sad or terrifying backstories to explain why I have such a dislike of those big green leaves. To be quite frank, I think it's just that. Why eat a bowl full of leaves when you can have a bowl full of chocolate??


Yet still, I continue to give it many chances to redeem itself. I've tried many different brands, but haven’t really attempted cooking it. Can lettuce be cooked? I suppose that would defeat the purpose of a salad. Maybe I should try to find a dressing I find appealing? And then cover those crispy, earthy leaves until they become a big soggy mess. That..doesn't sound too delicious. I think I'll just stick to using it as a pretty background for the real good stuff.

But if you enjoy salads, and anything fried, you'll probably fall in love with this easy recipe [and feel free to change out the lettuce for any other type of greens your heart desires (unless your heart doesn't desire greens, then feel free to switch it for chocolate)] Enjoy!



Fried Tofu
 serves 2

1/2 block extra firm tofu
4-6 tbsp soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste (completely optional; tastes just as good without!)
1/2 cup lettuce

~Bring a pan to high medium heat, add half the soy sauce.
~Slice tofu 1/2 inch thick and place on paper towels.
~Press tofu dry between two paper towels. Remove and use fresh ones if necessary.
~By now the soy sauce should be bubbling and drying out around the edges. Add tofu to pan.
~Fry for a few minutes on one side, and then flip. This part is really all about preference. (Whether you like your food fried to the point of blackness, or barely golden brown, its completely up to you!)
~Once a golden brown, remove from pan and place on top of a bed of lettuce.
~Serve with a side of boiled egg or fresh fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment