Sunday, September 7, 2014

Gluten Free Black Bean Brownies


Black bean brownies are certainly not a new thing. I'm sure by now you've seen a million different recipes for this so called "healthy dessert". But the truth is, most of those recipes call for butter or sugar (sometimes even flour which completely defeats the purpose of a bean brownie). Completely unhealthy.

I'm here to tell you today this doesn't have to be the case. You can have bean brownies that taste good and are good for you!


I fell in love with this recipe the very first time I made it. Especially when I switched out the oils for raspberry extract. Oh. My. Stars. They were amazing.


My tip to you, is if you're using a mediocre food processor that likes to leave behind the skins of the beans, strain the batter!! This is very important. No one, and I mean no one, wants to get beans stuck in their teeth when they're eating a brownie. Not good.

If the batter seems a bit too thin for your taste, feel free to throw in 1/4 cup of flour (I personally have had great success with buckwheat). And extracts make these taste 100% better. Trust me.

So, grab that dusty can of beans out of the back of your pantry and try these out for yourself!


Gluten Free Black Bean Brownies
 makes one 9x9 pan

1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 large eggs
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup honey
1/3 cup chilled coconut oil (not melted)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
few drops of raspberry extract (or any other extract)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
      powdered sugar (optional, for topping)

~Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
~Place all ingredients, except chocolate chips, in food processor and blend until smooth.
~Stir in chocolate chips.
~Pour batter into a greased 9x9'' pan.
~Cook for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
~Let cool, dust with powdered sugar, slice, and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment